We have spent an intriguing morning with Ronnie thinking about how we use the rubric in our classrooms and how we can share the benefits with others.
Ronnie shared some insightful research with us which resonates with the Worsbrough Common ethos and how we strive to be outstanding practitioners every day. The main point that stood out was ‘To bring about genuine change in a classroom is to change a teachers beliefs about what works well…’
This is what we hope to do with the rubric within our school and beyond.
Throughout the morning we have planned a training day focused on how we get our learners to become skillful in using the rubric tool and how we instil confidence in our staff to use them.
We discussed the benefits of rubrics and how to get our staff to buy in to using them in their own practise?
-ownership of learning
-commitment/participation in learning
-accelerate progress and ambition
-make learning memorable
-Create differentiation without limits
-Make space to teach
-more work for the recipient than the donor
What? So What?
Our next steps are to collect evidence in our own classrooms of the rubric in action to share with others and to prepare for the training day.
On Friday I went to Darton College to complete my SLE interview in the hope of becoming a Specialist Leader in Education. As part of the interview process we had to complete a ten minute presentation on a school improvement project we had led on. I chose to talk about the use of the rubric tool in year 1 to accelerate progress in writing.
As part of our restorative approach to managing behaviour, WCPS have been trying to use more logical consequences to support learners understanding why the behaviour was wrong and reduce reoccurrence. Positive research data shows that logical consequences are 70% effective; they are directly linked to the behaviour and teach a valuable lesson.
A group of boys who failed to use our school basket ball net appropriately ended up damaging it so that it was irrepairable. The logical consequence the boys faced was a project to raise money for a new one. This involved collaborative research, generating ideas, agreeing on a chosen idea before making it happen. The boys agreed that they would hold a staff car washing event to raise the money they needed. Maths and Literacy skills were applied throughout, persuading staff to allow them to wash their car and handling the costings.
At 9am when they first began the boys were actually enjoying themselves, however after car number 4, only a quarter of the way through, they were beginning to get tired. At 11am, they were fed up and had had enough, although still had 5 more cars to go and had to persevere. Eventually at 12 o clock, the 16 cars were completed and everyone was absolutely exhausted! The boys had made £48; only a quarter of the cost of a new net. This journey taught them that making money is very hard work and it is important that we look after the things we have.